Now, who's up for an adventure? Kids do! From France all the way to Japan, ski resorts all over the world just simply gleam adrenaline-pumping heart-warming family adventures, kid-friendly, of course! If you wish your kids to really enjoy the comforting powdery texture of snow and scenic cunning mountain views, let them slide through the gentle slopes of Okemo Mountain and jump up and down the beautifully sculpted terrain of snow in Aspen.
If you want something for everyone, select destinations with children in mind and book ski resorts that offer family activities aside from skiing. Hot springs, steamboat springs, and zip-lining are just a few of the outdoor activities you can do while your kids concentrate on their ski lessons. If you want a more relaxed time by the mountain, watch your kids enjoy galloping through the ski obstacles while you sip a cup of hot cocoa by the window of your chalet hub. So, say no more, here are the ski destinations we handpicked and added to our nine of the best ski resorts around the world we think you and your little ones will have an icy blast!
Table of Contents
1. Avoriaz, France (sleigh rides all the way)
2. Aspen Snowmass (a perfect family ski spot)
3. Niseko, Japan (learn to ski in Hokkaido)
4. Mont Tremblant, Canada (a colorful ski getaway)
5. La Plagne, France (where big sky and icy slopes beams)
6. Engelberg, Switzerland (a ski resort for kid's entertainment)
7. Obergurgl, Austria (see the glorious landscape)
8. Smugglers' Notch, Vermont (the best kid-friendly resort in the East)
9. Madonna Di Campiglio, Italy (snow fun under the sun)
1) Ski Resort - AVORIAZ, FRANCE (sleigh rides all the way) The main mode of transportation? Sleighs! With blanket bans of course. Avoriaz is all about family fun and skiing. A perfect blend of excitement and family quality time topped with hot cocoa drizzled with sprinkles of a white Christmas atmosphere. It's a mountain resort that advocates a variety of family-friendly activities; hence, there's no room for boredom and no time for checking phones. Avoriaz has beginner-friendly slopes for first-timers who can try out and experience the rush of going down a frosty slope. If your kid wants to attend lessons to better his/her skills, Village des Enfants has private bunny slopes and obstacle courses that will help them improve their skiing techniques while having fun. The ski schools around this area have a high reputation for training aspiring skiers. You will be surprised to see your kids making confident turns and slides with huge smiles on their faces. If you have teens along with you, snowparks will entertain them, and The Stash, a tree-lined course with organic obstacles strategically riddled for older teens to unlock. It is situated around the local forest where they can also sightsee some of the most magnificent wildlife in the cold. If your child gets tired of rolling down the slopes of ski resorts, you can bring them to Aquariaz. It is Europe's highest waterpark where family recreational activities include spa times, waterslides, and some paddling and napping. Around Avoriaz, Portes du Soleil is a huge area with a total of thirteen ski resorts to choose from. So, if you ever choose Avoriaz, you will never run out of options of where to go and what to do.
2) Ski Resort - ASPEN SNOWMASS ( a perfect family ski spot)
If you want to witness Winter X-Games, Buttermilk can be quite small of terrain than others, but this is where one of the most fearless skiers all over the world competes. As for Aspen Mountain, the management strictly prohibits kids to go and try out because only those who have intermediate skills are allowed. The Aspen Highlands, on the other hand, is famed for expert runs and the go-to spot for backcountry skiers. Some, hike their way through the high-alpine terrain in the Highland Bowl. While Aspen Highlands are intended for the pros. Its security system is top-notch. Aspen Highlands just finished a three-year glade project which cleared and secured new lines in the steep areas for safer ski experiences. Aspen Highlands also houses several Hollywood and popular sports stars' homes. Hence, it is also known as a glamor resort. As for families and newcomers, Aspen has surprisingly easy areas where beginners are welcomed with warm hands. This ski resort is for everyone. From beginners to pros, each has a place to enjoy, laugh, explore, and collect adventures.
3) Ski Resort - NISEKO, JAPAN (learn to ski in Hokkaido)
Located in the beautiful seaside region of Sapporo, Japan's northern island of Hokkaido called Niseko United houses four interlinked ski resorts. Niseko Village, Grand Hirafu, An'nupuri, and Hanazono have some of the most outstanding and diverse terrains in the world situated around a breathtaking volcano.
Some of Niseko's trails face the majestic facade of Mt. Yotei or popularly known as Mt Fuji. If you want to ski in places where the trails are groomed, the glades are wooded and witness some bowls with ungroomed powder, Niseko is hard to beat. Also, snowparks in this area are vast covering almost half of the mountain. On the other side is a boundless view of the mountainside where you can see natural half pipes and steep chutes that calls for a fearless skier.
Niseko is famed for its powdery snow and low temperatures, so, it is a must to bring extra coats to combat the cold. These family ski spots are intended for beginners and intermediate riders. Also, a wide array of ski activities such as heli-skiing, cat skiing, snowmobiling, and snowshoeing awaits for tourists to experience memorable family ski adventures.
If the cold is getting too much, your kids can indulge in a hot cup of thick and luscious chocolate drink while you pamper and have a little "me time" in one of Niseko's hot spring spa resorts. Niseko exhibit how magical realism in Japanese books looks like with naked eyes.
4) Ski Resort - MONT TREMBLANT, CANADA (a colorful ski getaway)
When we think of Canada, we think of maple syrup. But, that's not the only the best thing Canada has to offer. So, if you want to explore the deviant country of Canada with your kids, bring them to Whoville. No, not really, but the place is flaunting bright colorful buildings that look like they came straight from Dr. Seuss's children's books.
Mont Tremblant oozes magical on and off-slope activities that will leave your kids wandering and pump with excitement. This is the place where the young ones can dive into the state of the art learning facilities. TAM-TAM kid's zone is a voguish and idyllic blend of panoramic pistes and the winding trails surrounded with thick lustrous greens of the forest. On top of that, games and tantalizing animal sculptures will beguile your childrens' imagination.
Talking about safety, ski schools in Mont Tremblant provide GPS armbands to intensively stalk your young ones' activities all throughout their ski sessions. Hence, no kids are left behind or forgotten. And on safety make sure you check out our article on 10 helpful safety tips when traveling with kids.
Ohana. if your kids are picky eaters, say no more, this ski resort's French and American cuisine fusion will always have something to fill your little one's hungry stomach. So, be ready to astonish your kids with the life-size Whoville picturesque view of ski Town in Quebec, Canada, and see for yourself the vivid hues of its shutters and cobbled streets while witnessing how an old town operates in this modern world.
5) Ski Resort - LA PLAGNE, FRANCE (where big sky and icy slopes beams) La Plagne ski resort in France oddly radiates a homey ambiance despite its vast and diverse quality. From beautifully built chalets and old-world hamlets, your family will have its own place to feel at home and happy. Plagne Centre, 1800, Aime, Belle, Plagne, and Bellecote are just a few worth mentioning. The limitless accommodation options La Plagne offers stretch up to 425km of the ski area. So whether you just want to ski nearby, fifty kilometers far, or ski by the highest or lowest slopes, this place has it all. Off the ski, activities will drive your children mad! Imagine them sledding while a trained husky carry them to one of the most sought-after spots or visit igloo villages and explore ice caves. La Plagne offers a one-of-a-kind ski holiday destination catered to both kids and adults. A ski holiday destination with playgrounds, terrain parks, bobsleighing, and more, name it! So, book a room at Belle Plagne or Plagne 1800 and see for yourself the grandiose of the French icy slopes and charming cabins.
6) Ski Resort - ENGELBERG, SWITZERLAND (a ski resort for kids' entertainment)
Engelberg is one of the most popular ski spots for families; hence it comes with a price. It is a 12-kilometer wide ski resort, so it's quite small compared to others mentioned above. The advantage, on the other hand, for families with small children, going from one place to another need no to hop on a chairlift constantly. Thus, it is the ideal place for a ski family vacation.
Engelberg offers various kinds of on-snow entertainment for kids without having to ride a ski or going snowboarding. So, if your kids are too young to get on a ski board, Engelberg will keep your kids out of boredom. Activities such as snow tubing are safe for children. Engelberg is equipped with high-tech sleds and rubber rings to keep children safe all the time. Additionally, kids can go snow biking at snowXpark at Lake Trübsee or ride electric snowmobiles for older kids ages 10 and above.
7) Ski-Resort OBERGURGL, AUSTRIA (see the glorious landscape of Obergurgl)Obergurgl is a charming ski resort located high up the Austrian Alps. This traffic-free village emanates child-friendly accommodations and chalets where kids can freely be kids without worry. The breathtaking view of Obergurgl from the top exudes the beautifully outlined village of this quaint mountain village in Austria. Being in this majestic place will stray your mind away from the real world. The fact that it is stationed high up the Ötztal Valley, your main shenanigans would be countless hours of relaxing, spa pampering, and enjoying the glimpse of the alluring Austrian Alps. While your kids experience learning around the Alps mountain from local instructors. The local teachers in Obergurgl through the years perfected the art of snow mulching for more security; hence, kids learning to ski by the child-friendly slopes of Mahdsthul will help them overcome their fear and give it their best to try carving and riding the ski confidently. So, if you're up for an adventure high up the peak of the soaring Austrian Alps, the snow season is from November to May. You will witness the beauty of lofty Austrian-style infrastructures framed in powdery snowflakes.
8) Ski Resort - SMUGGLERS' NOTCH, VERMONT (the best kid-friendly resort in the East) Smugglers' Notch was awarded as the most kid-friendly ski spot in the East. With its comprehensive family-friendly accommodations and services, Smugglers' Notch is the best family ski destination. Smuggler's Notch exudes a 2,610-foot vertical rise with a total of 78 trails. Skiers and riders can easily hop from one terrain to another using one of its eight lifts interconnected across the mountains. Smugglers' Notch is the only family ski resort in the East that has a triple black diamond course. Why Smugglers' is perfect for families? It has onsite daycare that looks after children as young as six weeks old. Additionally, the campsite for kids to older teens has exceptional accommodations and activities all day long. Smugglers' Notch Adaptive Program is another one-of-a-kind service that earned them the top place as the best family ski holiday destination for families. This program provides diverse therapeutic recreational activities at its children's center and fun outdoor activities you're kids will love. Ice skating, air-boarding, jibbing clinics, winter walks; the list is endless. You and your kids will never have a dull moment in this tremendous ski resort. To add to the fun see our 30 best travel games for kids to play in planes, trains, automobiles, and hotels! After a whole day of exploring a terrain park, experiencing mountain ski, and trying out a variety of terrain, you can bring your kids to the FunZone. A 26,000-square feet play complex with activities including ping-pong, mini-golf, ice-skating, wall-climbing, laser tags, and more. Your little ones will be just in time for bedtime after a day of skiing and attending ski ride school.
9) Ski Resort - MADONNA DI CAMPIGLIO, ITALY (snow fun under the sun)
How about skiing under the sun? It doesn't get much better than enjoying the scenic landscape of Italy by the snow with the sun behind you boosting a little bit of energy. Madonna di Campiglio, a mountain resort in Italy where it's always sunny perfectly beaming through the iconic and cunning view of Brenta Dolomites. A skiable terrain that stretches up to 150 kilometers is enough for your kids to get along with nature and the natural architecture of these sunny slopes. If you think 150 kilometers is too small, you and your family can always gain access to the regional Skirama, a wide-open ski area with 380 kilometers radiate pure fun under the sun.If you want to explore what Madonna di Campiglio has to offer apart from its commendable snow activities, you can go down the traffic-free downtown and shop around in some of the Italian boutiques, stop by some fashionable bars for some drinks, enjoy an afternoon sipping coffee, and savor Italian cuisines at local eateries. Moreover, there are cheaper resorts around the area that promotes world-class services and accommodations for families. You can explore resorts around the Dolomites and get the same experience paying high-stakes hotel amenities.
Whether or not it is your and your child's first time on the snow, going on an adventure as a family brings closeness, attachment, and life-long memories. Other notable resort mentions include Meribel, Val d' Isere, and La Tania in the French Alps for younger kids. For teenagers, ski resorts such as St Anton in Austria and Val Thorens have one of the most exciting snow sports scenes but also nightlife. So go visit Colorado and visit some of their most unique beaver creek or park city mountain. Explore steep areas and stay overnight in a world-renowned deer valley resort. Ski and snowboard at vail resorts and collect lift tickets and memories. Check out Lake Tahoe or go gallivanting around the snowcapped peak of France après ski. Family ski holidays mean exploring the traffic-free base village of Obergurgl while saving some courage to try the adrenaline-boosting mountain coaster ride. Wherever you are, whether you're in the largest ski resort or a 12-kilometer ski destination as long, as you're with your energetic little ones, memories will come flowing down like gushing rivers or year-round snowfall.
For additional tips on how to enjoy vacations with kids check out our blog on Family Travel Secrets. If you have enjoyed this article, please share it with family and friends. Have a wonderful day wherever you are and safe travels.