Traveling with little ones is challenging, let alone traveling and pumping on the go. Having the right gear can simplify your travels.
In this article, we discuss the different breast pump bags available on the market and the different features they offer.
If this is your first time flying, check out some tips on traveling with kids on a plane.
Traveling with a stroller? Read this guide about flying with a stroller.
No time to go through the article? No worries. Here's a quick summary of the perfect breast pump bag.
Best Overall: Momigo Breast Pump Backpack
Best for Travel: TernX Breast Pump Backpack
Best Tote: Idaho Jones Ellerby
Best for Work: Idaho Jones Breast Pump Backpack
Most Stylish: Sarah Wells Kelly
Table of Contents
What to Look for in a Breast Pump Bag
Size of Your Breast Pump
Also, think about all the things you intend to pack in the bag, and how many kids you will be packing for. A breast pump tote bag may not be big enough for two kids. List out the pump accessories you require to pack with you as well as breast milk bags or bottles required for your trip. These will determine how big your travel pumping bag should be.
Quality of Construction
If you are unsure, look for brands that offer warranties.
Some brands take a step further and invest in using recycled materials like recycled PET bottles to help conserve our world.
Look for breast pump bags that offer water resistant material and is easy to clean. Some breast pump diaper bag are machine washable too.
Insulation and Compartments
A travel breast pump bag comes in handy with extra compartments like passport holder, padded laptop pocket and phone pocket.
Other considerations include enough compartments to store all the things that you need in a breast pump bag, with plenty to spare for any other personal belongings.
Many breast pump bags offer insulated pockets for baby bottles. However, most pump bags that offer three insulated pockets do not provide sufficient cooling. Some brands claim to keep breast milk cold for up to six hours. You may need to verify that before you jet off on your vacation.
In fact, from personal experience, a separate insulated cooler bag often does a better job keeping your milk cool.
Other features to consider is whether the breast pump bag has a specific section that can be used with ice packs. This is particularly important if you are traveling long distances and need to keep your milk cool for long periods of time. Most definitely you will require ice pack within your cooler bag.
Type of Breast Pump Bag: Tote vs Backpack
There are many breast pump bags available on the market today, from totes to backpacks. Before purchasing one for travel, it will be worth thinking through the scenarios and what is involved when traveling.
Tote comes in handy and is easy to use. However, when you are traveling with little ones, having your hands free is a bonus. Your tote may become irritating if the shoulder straps fall off your shoulder regularly. It can also be tricky if you need to carry your little one and hold your tote at the same time.
Having a backpack on the other hand, allows you to carry all your belongings with the weight distributed across your back evenly. It allows you to wear a baby carrier at the front or carry your child if needed.
At the end of the day, everyone has different needs. Take into account your situation and you will be able to choose a breast pump bag or travel diaper bag that works for you. If undecided, you can even choose a tote with removable shoulder strap that turns into a backpack and have the best of both worlds.
FAQ about Breast Pump Travel Bag
Does Breast Pump Bag Count as Carry On?
Furthermore, most airlines also allow a personal item as part of your carry on allowance. This includes a small purse, laptop bag, camera case or a small backpack. Not only that, depending on the airlines you fly, your lap infant may be entitled to their own carry on too. Make sure to double check with your airlines prior to flying.
9 Best Breast Pump Bags
Top 3 Breast Pump Bag Tote
Sarah Wells Abby
- Timeless, fashionable pump bag that can be doubled as work bag
- This Abby breast pump bag can be cleaned easily
- It offers a 15" laptop compartment
- It is very spacious or a large bag
Jujube Be Pumped
- It is machine washable
- Includes 4 mesh pockets, 2 zippered pockets and lots of space
- It is very stylish and has a modern look
Idaho Jones Ellerby
- Made of nylon
- It has a leather and detachable strap (can be shoulder or crossbody)
- It has a 15" laptop storage
- Has two insulated side pockets
6 Best Breast Pump Bag Backpack
TernX Breast Pump Backpack
- Large breast pump bag with two mesh pockets and a side-insulated pocket
- Expandable bottom compartment that doubles as a wet bag for soiled clothing
- Made of recycled PET bottles and comes with a separate clutch, change mat, and stroller straps.
- The clutch offers one hand easy access to wipes, fits pumping accessories
Teamoy Breast Pump Backpack
- It has a padded sleeve for gadgets
- It comes with a rear anti-theft zippered pocket
- It can 8 different pockets
- Can be used as a breast pump tote or backpack
Sarah Wells Kelly
- Has well-designed compartments for different purposes
- Comes with an adjustable shoulder strap and can be used as a backpack
- Offers lifetime warranty
- Comes in different styles, patterns, and colors.
Momigo Breast Pump Backpack
- It is not as pricey as other bags
- It also has ports for USB charging or headphone
- It fits up to a 13" laptop
Idaho Jones Breast Pump Backpack
- It is made of high-grade polyester and nylon
- It has a padded laptop compartment for 15" laptop
- Offers wide and thick shoulder straps for support and comfort
- Offers insulated side pocket
Gogoso Breast Pump Backpack
- Very easy to clean
- It has insulated cooler pockets
Choose Your Best Breast Pump Bag for Travel
Understanding your travel needs will help you choose the best breast pump bag for you. Look for breast pump bags that offer different compartments including insulated compartments, separate areas to store pumping gear, and pump parts.
This way, you will be able to confidently choose a stylish breast pump bag that suits you and your travel needs.
Read here for more information on traveling with breast milk.
Read here for the best breast pump to travel with.